FutureLearn connects people and ideas with the world’s best free online courses. It aims to pioneer the best social learning experiences for everyone, anywhere. Whether you’re a professional looking to gain a new business skill or an avid pastime learner wanting to discover a new passion, we offer a diverse selection of free, high quality online courses from over 110 (a number that’s always growing) of the world’s leading universities, business schools and specialist organisations.
By applying creative ideas and technological innovation to the world of learning, we connect learners from all over the globe with high quality educators and with each other. We believe learning should be an enjoyable, social experience, with plenty of opportunities to discuss and reflect on what you’ve studied. Through social collaboration, you can make fresh discoveries and form new ideas that benefit you both professionally and personally.
Courses are delivered one step at a time and are accessible on mobile, tablet and desktop, so you can fit learning around your life, anytime, anywhere.
Those who want to study or work in an English-speaking environment will often need to prove their proficiency in the language through official certification. The most popular English test in the world is the IELTS. This test is split into four key areas: listening, reading, writing, and speaking.
Discover IELTS preparation strategies from the British Council
If you are planning to study abroad or move to another country to work or live, you may be asked to prove your English language ability with the IELTS test.
The four courses in this ExpertTrack from the British Council give you all the information and practice you need to approach all four parts of IELTS with confidence that you can achieve the band score you need.
In each of the four courses you’ll find:
- a description of each part of the test and what you have to do to achieve a good band score
- the assessment criteria that tell you what your examiner is looking for
- exam techniques to help you tackle all types of test questions
- tips and strategies for successful test preparation and for improving your English ability
- practice tests to help you know what to expect on test day
As well as that, each course looks at common problems language learners have with that language skill:
- how to give full and fluent answers to the examiner’s questions
- how to improve your confidence when speaking English
- planning a short talk in English
- finding enough to say
- improving your pronunciation
- the grammar you need for the test
- techniques like skimming and scanning to improve your test reading speed
- reading about unfamiliar topics in English
- improving your vocabulary and dealing with unknown words
- coping with time pressure
- understanding and describing charts and data
- writing about trends
- planning an essay
- the grammar and vocabulary you need
- listening test techniques
- widening your listening range
- staying focused when you listen
- listening to conversations in English
Key skills you will learn
- English speaking
- English listening
- English writing
- English proficiency
- IELTS test preparation
- English language skills
Highlight the new, job-relevant skills you’ve gained and supplement existing qualifications with a hard-earned, industry-specific digital certificate – plus one for every course within your ExpertTrack.
Learn the latest in your chosen industry or subject.
Complete each course and pass assessments.
Receive certificates validated by the educating organisation.
Impress employers with learning outcomes you can add to your CV.
Make your career dreams a reality.
World-class learning with British Council
The British Council builds connections, understanding and trust between people in the UK and other countries through arts and culture, education and the English language.
We work on the ground in more than 100 countries. In 2019-20 we connected with 80 million people directly and with 791 million people overall, including online and through our broadcasts and publications.
Start learning today – free 7-day trial
After your free trial you can:
Pay $39 per month to keep learning online
Have complete control over your subscription; you can cancel any time
Work at your own pace and set your own deadlines at every stage
Only pay while you’re learning; the subscription will cancel automatically when you finish
Complete online assessments to test your knowledge and prove your skills
Earn digital course certificates and a final award that you can share online, with potential employers, and your professional network
Keep access to the content of courses you complete even after your subscription ends
REGISTER FOR THE COURSE