The University of Health Sciences of Lao PDR (UHS-Laos) is the unique university for health professional training in the country, established in June 2007. This young university is composed of seven faculties such as Faculty of Basic Sciences, Faculty of Medicine, Faculty of Pharmacy, Faculty of Dentistry, Faculty of Nursing Sciences, Faculty of Medical Technology, Faculty of Postgraduate Studies; and Cabinet of UHS-Laos.
The UHS-Laos is a part of a larger Complex Hospitalo-Instituto-Projecto-University (CHIPU) gathering the referent national and regional hospitals where the students follow their practice training. The vision of the UHS-Laos is to be recognised in the region as an institute of higher education learning that is contributing to the production of knowledge and education of high quality health personnel who are motivated to serve the people of Lao PDR and committed to lifelong learning. The UHS-Laos has collaborated with many Universities in Asia, Europe and America. We are very much aware that we have still a lot to do in order to reach a satisfactory quality level. That is the reason why we are strongly investing into pedagogy, training capacity and IT. Therefore, we need to share experience and could get a huge benefit to be trained in various universities in the world.
Aims and Objectives
The specific objective of CATALYST is the development and implementation of a comprehensive pedagogical Core Curricula using an ECTS/Tuning Modular design for university vocational teaching for Vietnam and Laos.
Other specific objectives are to:
- implement English for Specific Purposes training as a Quality Assurance (QA) mechanism to ensure effective Programme Country participation and to use this package for future training needs at Partner Country institutions.
- implement Pedagogical training for Programme Country participants to ensure the Programme Countries produce a proper Core Curricula developed to local needs curricula.
- conduct Quality Assurance training for all participants at the Start Off meeting to ensure full implementation of project goals and to ensure understanding of the Quality Plan and the Contingency Plan.
- ensure the setting up of the Online Platform after needs analysis in Month 2 of project for uploading all academic and administrative documentation.
- create clear understanding of management structures for smooth operation of academic and administrative activities.
- develop a programme with clear focus on persons with disabilities.
- ensure Sustainability through Official Accreditation Process for Core Curricula including Inter-University Module Recognition Agreements and Action Group for the creation of a Strategic Plan for post-project dissemination and sustainability
- develop and implement a clear strategy to maximize Dissemination effects of two National Programme Country Project Status Conference Awareness Days.
Wider objectives are to:
- develop transparent, national and international educational standards and comparable learning tools and teaching standards in accordance with Bologna criteria.
- enhance the quality of teaching methodology and the use of innovative teaching tools in the Programme Countries
- support the internationalization of participating EU and PC institutions and support staff and student mobilities and exchanges.
- improve the quality and participation of graduates in the educational system and in employment.
Please feel free to contact us with any queries or questions you may have.