WIAL Singapore is the official international affiliate of the World Institute for Action Learning (WIAL) led by the father of Action Learning, Dr Michael Marquardt.
The World Institute for Action Learning – Singapore promotes the understanding and application of Action Learning in organizations through research, thought leadership, publications, conferences, workshops, coaching, certifications, and
- Building a pool of certified Action Learning Coaches through the WIAL Action Learning Certification Process.
- Promoting and creating awareness of Action Learning to foster the development of Action Learning proficiencies and usage.
- Coaching individuals, groups and organizations undertaking action learning programs.
- Enhancing the skills and knowledge of Action Learning Coaches through workshops, forums, Communities of Practices and other learning intervention.
About Action Learning
Action Learning has emerged as a method of choice for global companies, government agencies, and non profit groups that want to improve quality, cut costs, create new products and services, and change the cultures of their organisations. From Boston to Brazil, from Finland to Tokyo, companies as diverse as Samsung, Dow, GE, Deutsche Bank, Boeing, Sodexho, Novartis, Nokia and many others use Action Learning to solve complex problems, develop leaders, build teams and expand corporate capability.
Since Reg Revans first introduced it to coal miners of Wales and England in the 1940s, Action Learning has become a dynamic process that assists organisations to challenge the status quo, and to develop creative, flexible and successful strategies. Action Learning positions inquiry at the core of organisational behaviour, develops critical thinking and creates mutual respect among employees at all levels.
The focus on inquiry speaks to Peter Senge’s concern that organisations should move from institutional training to a learning environment. Action Learning solves dilemmas of all sizes, and is particularly effective with complex problems that may appear unsolvable. It elevates the norms, the collaboration, the creativity and the courage of groups that solve problems of great urgency to the organisation.
Action Learning solves problems and develops leaders simultaneously because its simple rules force participants to think critically and work collaboratively, and because the group’s coach, the Action Learning coach, assists group members to reflect, not on their problem solving, but on the elevation of their group functioning and on examples of their leadership skills. Action Learning participants become effective leaders as they solve difficult problems.
Why Action Learning
Action Learning benefits the organization as a whole and its members individually and in teams. Action Learning can:
- Assist succession planning by developing a cadre of highly qualified candidates for promotion to executive leadership positions.
- Deepen participants’ confidence in their leadership and team participation skills.
- Enable participants to establish effective, mutually respectful working relationships with co-workers at all organizational levels.
- Develop competence among individuals and teams in problem-solving and decision-making processes.
- Relate action research/action learning theory and methods to organizational challenges.
- Enhance participants’ capacity to reflect on and learn from their individual and collective experiences.
- Develop in participants an awareness of how their implicit assumptions, beliefs, attitudes, preferences, and organizational interests influence their thinking, decisions and actions.
- Increase competence in preparing and presenting recommendations concerning urgent organizational issues to executive management.
Please feel free to contact us with any queries or questions you may have.