One of the important lessons the pandemic has taught us is to be prepared for the unexpected. The digital transformation viz., the technological advancement and high-speed internet, has completely opened up the field of learning possibilities using online platforms where the advantages far outweigh the demerits. Major startups have reinvented themselves by integrating digital learning to drive learning initiatives. This makes it easier for the learner to access information from anywhere at the place that suits them best at their own convenience. A study shows that technology has a considerable potential to support inclusive education with its reach spread across the remotest areas.
What is E-learning
By E-Learning, we mean electronic learning. In other words, it is the delivery of training through various digital resources such as Apps, online course contents, Video Recording, Animations, Blogs, etc., Some of the factors that contributed to the success of E-Learning are :
- The Internet
- Development of Multimedia
- Learning Management Systems (LMS), such as cloud-based, open source, commercial, etc.,
- Affordability of Digital Devices such as computers, podcasts, and mobiles.
To launch E-Learning, the following two steps are required :
- Create engaging online Courses and quizzes.
- Upload courses to your Learning Management System (LMS) and assign them to learners. Learners can take the course from any device and their performance can be tracked periodically.
There are different forms of E-Learning :
- Synchronous Learning is a webinar led by an instructor. it needs all the participants to be online at the same time.
- Asynchronous Learning allows learners to access information whenever they need it and facilitate independent learning
- Blended Learning is a mix of Synchronous and Asynchronous formats. This approach is more flexible and can be molded to any learning goals
- Micro-Learning Here, all materials are split into short and easy-to-digest learning bites. Learners can take a 5-minute course on their mobiles anytime they need.
- Virtual Reality in eLearning allows learners to develop skills while gaining experience in a risk-free environment.
E-learning platforms / E-learning Resources
- MOOCs (Massive Online Open Courses)
- Virtual learning environment (VLE) or Virtual Classrooms,
- Adaptive Learning ie., ultra customization of certain courses to adapt to the needs of each learner.
- Video streaming services, such as YouTube.
- Virtual instructor-led training (VILT), e.g. WebEx or webinars.
- Discussion boards.
Why should you invest in E-Learning?
Today, in this golden age of online education, the eLearning industry has grown by 900% since 2000. With eLearning, we are able to extend learning beyond the core of the business to develop a learning culture within the organization, enabling the learners to evolve and progress. Cloud-Based Learning Management System offers flexibility and cost-effective training methods. Also, in eLearning, there are a number of educational reinforcement strategies that helps greater knowledge retention viz., quick access to contents, the possibility of repeated classes, periodic evaluation, etc., thus enabling the learner to apply the knowledge gained at work, hence, improving their professional performance. To have more impact on your business, the training program must be relevant to the job, in line with the company’s objectives. ie., Employees should receive the training tools viz., action plans, models, manuals, checklists, etc., that can be applied directly to work.
- Budget Friendly, Eliminates the need for printed course material, and don’t have to spend for transport and accommodation for the team.
- Delivering new information faster takes only a few days to launch a training program.
- Remote approach to learning, no campuses, no fixed schedules.
- Track knowledge retention easily, and tracks the progress of learners.
- Instant Career Advancement, keeps you in sync with updated and latest contents
- , Balancing Working and Learning together.
- Self-Paced Learning ie., Learners can set their own learning schedules
- Promotes active and independent learning. , allows learners to practice their own unique learning approaches.
- Customizable Learning Environment, Choosing a personalized learning environment.
- Accessibility, Access training materials 24/7.
- Scalability ie all students receive the same syllabus, study material, and training.
- An efficient way of delivering courses, resources are available from anywhere, anytime.
It won’t be fair to leave this article without checking the cons of learning via online mediums. Foe every concept there will be some disadvantages
- Connectivity Issues, poor internet connection in small cities and remote areas
- Teacher Training, Often, teachers have only a very basic understanding of technology.
- Health Hazard for children, children develop poor eye vision due to staring at the screen for too long. Also, children develop bad posture due to staying hunched in front of a screen.
Please enter input field