Are you a trainer looking to start a work from home teaching business? Are you confused of where to start? Online teaching jobs have gained popularity during the past couple of years, and this trend continues. During this period, teachers worldwide developed innovative online teaching methods to make learning more interesting and effective. Online teaching is almost the same as classroom teaching except for the fact that online teaching takes place in a virtual mode and it involving using various technologies the interaction between teacher and students takes place in a virtual environment with applications such as Zoom, Google Meet, PowerPoint, Skype, Microsoft Teams, etc.
Apart from these applications, there are platforms like the eduJournal portal, that provide opportunities for teaching as well as learning online courses. With smart innovations and the widespread use of the internet, we have reached a stage where online learning has become a new way of learning. The revolution in eLearning and online learning during the past couple of years has led to a huge demand for online educators. Online teachers have adapted themselves to this new way of online teaching using various digital tools.
Starting a Work from Home Teaching Business is beneficial for a number of reasons. First, you are independent ie., you are not bound by the rules and regulations of any institution. The second is flexibility ie., there are no fixed schedules or working hours. Thirdly, wider reach ie., you are addressing a wider audience from all across the globe. Fourthly, acquire knowledge ie., you can expand your knowledge on the subject by engaging in various sessions, Fifthly, it is cost-effective ie., it is comparatively cheaper than conventional learning. Sixthly, inclusive learning ie., people in the remotest areas too can get access to the course, Seventhly, it saves commuting time ie., traveling time, and last but not least, increase productivity ie., spending quality time and effort productively.
Drawbacks of Work from Home teaching business:
– Chances of Distraction / Online Learning Fatigue
– Possibility of Fraudulent Courses
– Soft-Skills not developed
Here are a few things to ponder before you start your work from home teaching business:
- Choose your subject matter expert with expertise to teach, and prepare your course material beforehand.
- Familiarize yourself with the website, mobile App, LMS, Authoring Tools, etc. Use your resources effectively.
- Communication is the key to a better learning experience. Prepare to communicate your thoughts clearly and unambiguously.
- Do the research and identify your target audience and reach out to them.
- Identify the course pattern
- PDF Notes
- Video Courses
- PowerPoint presentations
- Mock Tests, Quizzes, etc.,
- Live Interaction through Webinars, Zoom, Skype, Google Meet, etc
- Discussion Boards and Forums, Social Media, etc
- Market your course Read Top marketing strategies for training institutes here
- Sell your course. Students can either subscribe to the course on a monthly basis and access the course or they can purchase the course.
- Gather feedback about your course.
A few traits or qualities one should possess to become a successful online educator:
- Be a good intellect: One should have excellent knowledge of the subjects they are teaching. Additionally, they should have the required qualification, eligibility, and certifications to indicate that they are qualified to teach. Your profile can give a good impression in the minds of the learners. Your subject knowledge can help to design good course material that can be easily understood. A good teacher must be able to put across concepts that are easily digestible. In this way, you can find more takers for your course.
- Be passionate about your job: The lack of passion for teaching can affect the quality of teaching, in general. Never do online teaching with the sole purpose of making money. You must have the passion and the desire to teach.
- Communication Skills: Communicate clearly and unambiguously so that it is understood by one and all.
- Develop Skills in Learning Management Systems (LMS) and Authoring tools: Teachers should stay updated with the latest technologies and innovations. They need to be familiar with the Learning Management System (LMS) and the Authoring Tool to make presentations.
- Creativity: Creativity and thinking outside the box are of important traits in online learning. In online learning, there are many ways to teach creatively, such as games, infographics, project-based fun activities, animated presentations, etc., and Developing Courses Creativity helps students retain more information.
- Motivational Skills: An educator must always strive to inspire their students. Creating a stressful environment can affect the minds of the learners.
- Time Management: Manage time and schedule tasks to finish the course within the given time frame.
- Discipline: Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishments and is very essential in online learning. Students should know what is expected from a classroom session and what is expected of them during the session. Establish proper rules and procedures, code of conduct, etc, Indiscipline of any sort can cause distraction in the class. Hence, learning how to manage students in a class is essential.
- Supportive: Make every interaction a positive experience. Efforts should be made to provide a helping hand to weak and struggling students to bring them up with the rest by focusing on their weak areas. Interact with students on a regular basis and gather feedback through live discussions, giving tasks, quizzes, tests, etc., evaluating their responses, and offering suggestions as and when required.
Being an online educator and doing work from home teaching business might sound easy, but it brings along a lot of challenges. Some do it for making money, and some do it to share knowledge with others or social service, while others do it for their passion in teaching. Whatever the case, you need to strive hard to be the best in your field, and to be there, a lot of hard work and determination are required. If you want to be the best online teacher, it requires more than just subject knowledge. You need to try to improve your skillset and teaching style on a daily basis so as to enthuse your learners. Though teaching methodologies vary from place to place and from time to time, your representation and enthusiasm represent how you deliver your course. Ultimately, the result you obtain will depend on the nature of the students and their ability to grasp the information. As Benjamin Franklin said, “Without continual growth and progress, such words as improvement, achievement, and success has no meaning.” Therefore, explore all your options wisely before making any informed decisions with the right skill and experience by doing proper research and using the right technology, you can spearhead this online education and conduct online work from home teaching business.